Funerals/Burial in same grave

Question
QUESTION: My brother passed in 1967.  He was the first to be interred in the Long Island National Cemetery here in NY.

My Mom was buried in the same plot in 1993, and my Dad in 1995.  He was a WWII veteran.

When I pass, will I be eligible for burial in the same plot?

Thanks for your help.

ANSWER: Douglas

The short answer to your question is no.

The explanation is that your brother was eligible to be buried in a the VA cemetery because he died before he was 18 or he was determined to have been disabled before the age of 18 and was a dependent of your parents.

Otherwise to be buried in a VA cemetery, you must be either an honorably discharged veteran or the spouse of an honorably discharged veteran.

I hope this helps,

Erin Phelps

QUESTION: Actually my Brother died a few months short of his 21st birthday, and while he was ill for a number of years, up to 1966, after he was 19, he was up and about and commuting to college in NYC each day, which he did for the 1964-1965, and 1965-1966 school years. He got really ill in early 1967 after he turned 20 (12/27/66).  But finished the school year in June of 67 and did really well at home.   

While I was a about a year and half younger,  I remember he was sick, but not considered disabled.  To be more accurate, I am not aware that he was considered disabled due to his sickness.  My parents did not at any time use the words "disabled" or "disability", and neither did any  relatives, doctors, family friends, funeral home people, etc., as far as I can remember. I guess that the VA rules would call him "disabled" by virtue of his illness? And if so, they also must have considered the onset of his illness as being before he turned 18.  Which would be technically correct I suppose since he was initially diagnosed in the summer of 1964 shortly before he turned 18 in December of 1964.
Could this be correct?

Thanks for your very prompt reply!

Answer
Douglas

Sorry for the delay in answering your email.

The best I can tell you is that the V.A. must have either considered your Brother disabled before the age of 18 and/or the rules on eligibility have changed since he was buried.

Erin Phelps

Funerals

Erin Phelps