Funerals/fetus laws in hospitals

Question
I was told that when a miscarriage occurs after 20 weeks in a hospital that a funeral is required by law. If true, is it a state law or a federal law? I was told it is required in Texas.

Thanks,
Dave

Answer
There is NO law in any state requiring a funeral regardless of where the death occurs or how old or young the person is. After 20 weeks, a fetal death report or fetal death certificate *is* required. On that you will have to fill in whether the child was buried or cremated. In TX and all but 8 states, the family may handle the death without hiring a funeral director. Alas, a lot of hospitals don't know this and have given families a hard time about releasing the body to the family. Threaten to sue them if they do that. Or let me put you in touch with a TX lawyer who can educate them.

Go to www.funeralethics.org/rights.htm to see state-specific funeral consumer rights. It prints out on legal-size paper.

P.S. Many FDs do not charge anything more than out-of-pocket expenses for infant deaths.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson