Funerals/Forced Monument Purchases

Question
 Temporary Monument
Temporary Monument  

Family Monument
Family Monument  
The advertisement for our cemetery states "Welcome to Historic XXXXX Cemetery, a Not-For-Profit association, owned solely by property owners." If we own the plot as "property" what restrictions can be placed on monuments (granite/marble). Our son died recently (35 yoa)and we would like to place a small temporary marker at his cremation interment place but we have heard the cemetery won't let us put one there since they have their own monument co. and they force a very large purchase price to buy from them and they do not carry the stone we want. The same goes for the large monument we will purchase later. These are high quality Georgia, white marble as used in Washington DC.  
In this situation, are we required to buy from the cemetery marker co. or can we buy from an independent of our choice? The difference in price on the small stone is roughly $400.00.

Answer
Ask them if they accept the veteran's markers and see what they say. I'm guessing that will embarrass them.

Such a restriction is a violation of the Sherman Anti-trust Act. There are two cases Rosebrough Monument Co. vs Memorial Park Cemetery Association and Moore vs. Matthews that back up your right to purchase the monument wherever you want. You can do a Google search and print out that info to show the cemetery. If that doesn't work, file a complaint with the Texas Funeral Service Commission -- http://www.tfsc.texas.gov/

Funerals

Lisa Carlson