Funerals/gestation and buriel

Question
Lisa,

I noticed that you made mention of the fact that in the state of Texas there is no law requiring that a funeral home be used no matter the age?  I was curious due to the fact that after 20 weeks or 350 grams a death certificate has to be completed.  It would not be required for someone under 20 weeks or under 350 grams.  Can you tell me where I can find the statute or law that states that any gestation can be disposed of? This is an ongoing concern in the medical community that we handle the fetus/infant properly.  Is there anything that states if it is a 20 week, live birth that lives 2 hours and then passes as to whether or not the infant can be disposed of? Is there a difference between a stillbirth and a live birth that results in death and whether or not they must be buried or can be disposed of? I am needing this information for updating policies and am unable to find it.

thank you,  

Kelly

Answer
Kelly,

In all but 8 states a family may handle a death without a funeral director. Yes, the paperwork must be completed--death certificate filed and burial transit permit obtained if 20 weeks or more. There's a pediatric oncology nurse in California who says there's a dramatic difference in the healing when parents who have lost a child have a hands-on funeral experience.

You can download the TX chapter from the Bookstore at www.funerals.org for only $5. It walks one thro' the whole process.

You might also be interested in an ideal hospital post mortem policy as posted in the Funeral Ethics newsletter--http://www.funeralethics.org/fall07.pdf

Funerals

Lisa Carlson