Funerals/putting mementos in the casket

My Dad has Alzheimer, still moving around in nursing home, but doesn't know us anymore :(  I'm grieving, my experts say.  I'm also having floods of wonderful and funny memories!  My dad use to walk around the house belting out a funny folk song...I am a gay Cabelero"!  He also fancied himself to be a cowboy  lol   I wanted to write on parchment paper "To My Favorite Cowboy: (and then all the lyrics to Gay Cabelero) and put them with him in his casket.   I have my mom still and my 4 other siblings.  Is this tacky?  Should I get their permission?  I've thought a lot about it, and of course it's mostly for me and my feelings.  Didn't know if I should go through with it and how I should go about doing it on that dreaded day.
Thanks For Your Time,
Holly  :)

Hello Holly-

I think it is a wonderful idea!  Do it!  I would ask or even suggest to your family members to join you, they may have some mementos too!  This is part of the healthy path of grieving.  It's a great idea and I have seen it done before.  If you are not comfortable,  ask the funeral director to assist you.  

With care,  

Kellie Gillespie

I can answer any questions regarding funeral planning, grief, alternatives to burial, embalming, natural burial, products and ideas how to make a funeral service or memorial service more meaningful and personal. I can't answer questions regarding legal issues, financial planning and what happens after we die.

I am a licensed Funeral Director in the state of California with 10 years experience.

B.A. from the University of Colorado AA from the San Francisco College of Mortuary Science, now part of the Sacramento Community College program