Funerals/Michigan Home Burial Plots

I live in Clare County in Michigan in a small town called Lake.  I was wondering if you could direct me or give me some information on how to make our family home into a family cemetery.  We own 40 acres and it has been in the family for 4 generations.

Thank you for your time.

Michigan has one of the best home burial statutes in the U.S. Alas, you will be required to hire a funeral director to hide behind the apple tree, so to speak and to file the death certificate, unlike 53 other states!

You can get a free state-specific Funeral Consumer Rights pamphlet for MI at

But you will get more detailed information if you download the Michigan chapter from the Bookstore at for only $5. And let that office or me know if you're willing to help change the law to get the damned FDs out of the picture for home funerals.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.