Funerals/Michigan Home Burial Plots

Question
I live in Clare County in Michigan in a small town called Lake.  I was wondering if you could direct me or give me some information on how to make our family home into a family cemetery.  We own 40 acres and it has been in the family for 4 generations.

Thank you for your time.

Catherine

Answer
Michigan has one of the best home burial statutes in the U.S. Alas, you will be required to hire a funeral director to hide behind the apple tree, so to speak and to file the death certificate, unlike 53 other states!

You can get a free state-specific Funeral Consumer Rights pamphlet for MI at www.funeralethics.org

But you will get more detailed information if you download the Michigan chapter from the Bookstore at www.funerals.org for only $5. And let that office or me know if you're willing to help change the law to get the damned FDs out of the picture for home funerals.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson