Funerals/ACCESS TO MY FAMILY CEMETARY

Question
LISA, MY BROTHER AND I ARE THINKING OF SELLING THE LAST FEW ACRES AND HOUSE THAT BELONGED TO OUR GRANDMOTHER. WHILE TALKING WITH ONE OF OUR NEIGHBORS, WHO IS WANTING TO BUY THE PLACE, I LET HIM KNOW THAT THE ONLY WAY WE WILL CONSIDER SELLING IS IF IT IS STIPULATED THAT OUR FAMILY WILL ALWAYS HAVE ACCESS TO THE CEMETERY.  HE THEN INFORMS ME THAT THE CEMETERY ISN'T EVEN OURS.  THAT WHILE MY GRANDMOTHER WAS STILL ALIVE AND HAD SOLD SOME LAND TO ANOTHER NEIGHBOR THE CEMETERY WAS ALSO SOLD. I DO NOT BELIEVE MY GRANDMOTHER WOULD HAVE EVER SOLD THAT PART OF THE LAND.  MY QUESTION IS, WHERE DO I GO TO OR WHOM DO I NEED TO TALK TO TO FIND OUT IF IT HAS BEEN SOLD AND IF SO, HOW CAN WE KEEP ACCESS TO OUR FAMILY PLOT? PLEASE HELP SOON. THE APPRAISER IS COMING TODAY.

Answer
In what state? In most states, access to a family cemetery is protected.

Go to the land records and look at the deed of the land already sold. You should be able to tell if it includes the land under or around the cemetery.

I'm guessing the cemetery has not been recorded separately in the land records. So before you sell the property, write a description of the cemetery land and record it with the deed: Smith Family Cemetery, three acres, beginning at the boulder on North Road . . . etc. Add that an easement for access is retained by all heirs and assigns even tho' you probably are entitled to that anyway.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson