Funerals/Burial specifications

What are the burial specifications in the state of Oklahoma, McClain County. Specifically: are cardboard caskets allowed? Is there a requirement for an outside container (vault)? Depth of grave?

Hi there,

No states prohibit cardboard caskets.

Here's the link to the State of Oklahoma's FAQ on burial:

"Caskets and outside enclosures are not required by law.  A casket or alternative container (such as a cardboard box or unfinished wood box) is a practical necessity for transporting the body for burial or cremation."

Here's the link to Oklahoma's regulations list regarding cemeteries:

It's up to the cemetery that you work with to decide whether or not an outer burial container/vault is required. That same cemetery will be able to tell you how deep they bury, as well as how deep they are REQUIRED to bury. Shop around - usually there's a cemetery within a 50 mile radius that offers vault-free burial.

The Oklahoma Funeral Board should be able to answer questions, too, so they should be your next point of contact. You'll need to check directly with McClain County for any other details as they're not set up to field general public inquiries but will work with their local residents.

For other consumer-related issues you might encounter the Funeral Consumers Alliance of North Texas works with folks in Oklahoma, too: --- and is a great resource for information in general.

Good luck!

Cynthia Beal

Typical questions include 1) Where can I go for a natural burial? 2) What types of coffins, urns and other "packaging" are best for natural decomposition? 3)How do I plan for a natural funeral? 4) Do I have to be embalmed? and other questions in this vein. I'm available to answer general consumer questions about natural burial, home and natural funerals, and sustainable cemetery management. I answer questions about general cemetery matters, and offer suggestions about how to deal with remains, cremated or buried, interment rights, rules for cemeteries and plot owners, covering conventional as well as alternative options. I also answer questions from professionals, home funeral guides, and family members about how to manage a natural funeral either in the mortuary or at the home, how to best use natural coffins and urns, and how to convert cemeteries to natural, sustainable practices. I will answer questions from volunteer cemetery managers about how to offer natural burial in their rural, Pioneer, or non-profit cemeteries. If I don't know an answer I'll refer the questioner to someone who does. DISCLAIMER -- I am a certified pre-need sales person in the State of Oregon. I am not a licensed attorney, tax adviser, estate planner, funeral director, embalmer, accountant, public official, or any other professional that may be associated with issues the question brings up and any answers I provide should not be relied upon if such expertise is required by the asker (as per the All Expert suggestion). I provide my own personal opinions, based on my experience in business, Nature and its systems, and with human beings after 55 years of life on the planet.

Natural burial and sustainable cemetery management experience: I'm the founder of the Natural Burial Company and a member of the Sustainable Cemetery Management Group. Over 25 years in the natural products industry, and 9 years running the Natural Burial Company. I've done some consulting for existing and start-up natural cemetery operations. I'm currently an instructor at Oregon State University, facilitating the creation of a program in sustainable cemetery management and stimulating research in cemetery-oriented processes and functions.

ICCFA - International Cemetery, Crematory and Funeral Association Green Business Network Funeral Consumers Alliance

American Cemetery Magazine; Funeral Business Advisor; Real Goods Source Book; American Funeral Director Magazine, etc.

There is no degree in natural burials or funerals, and no accredited education provided for sustainable cemetery management. We're developing a program at Oregon State University but it hasn't fully launched yet.