Funerals/Church community cemeteries in WA state

Hello, I am a elder-maintenance man of a local church in WA state and have been burdened with the need of starting a community grave yard in our local town.  There is a possibility of a piece of land being donated but I am having difficulty finding who I need to talk to make this legal or official.  Other towns have local cemeteries that cost about 1/10 of the cost of a for profit cemetery.  We do have your book on loan from the library and do appreciate the information.  

thank you

I hope you won't consider this a burden but a rich opportunity to serve your church community.

Contact the state funeral and cemetery board for guidance on establishing the cemetery --

You also might find this of interest, how to offer a free funeral to the members of your congregation--

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.