my husband died from cancer age 31 we have a 5 year old son now his mother has took charge of the funeral and refuses me any rights he had a will but it never stated that his family should be in charge of the funeral have i got rights

Hi Rose,

This is a very grey area as no one has any rights over a deceased person.

If his mother is proposing a cremation you could object directly to the crematorium or you could speak to the registrars office. If there is a priest or minister involved they may be willing to mediate. Otherwise you need to speak to a solicitor.

Of course if you are executor of the will you could refuse to pay out of the estate.

Sorry it's not more clear cut but this is really one for the lawyers.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bryan Powell


I can answer questions relating to the law surrounding funerals, burial and cremation in the UK as well as the practical interpretation of the laws. I have in depth knowledge of the funeral profession in the UK, the products available and what is seen as acceptable and unacceptable. I am able to advise members of the public as well as trade enquiries from those within the profession and those looking to supply or become involved with the funeral industry.


I have 25 years experience in the UK funeral industry, as a practising funeral director, as a consultant to funeral homes and suppliers, as someone who has bought, owned and sold funeral homes as well as establishing new ones from scratch. I was the Founding Chairman of the Independent Funeral Directors College and have sat on the national executive of the Society of Allied and Independent Funeral Directors

British Institute of Funeral Directors, National Association of Funeral Directors, Society of Allied & Independent Funeral Directors

Funeral Service Journal and on my blog -

Diploma in Funeral Directing

Awards and Honors
Recommended by the Natural Death Centre

Past/Present Clients

©2017 All rights reserved.