We own 6 plots in Cedar Grove,Williamsburg VA. My brother is buried there we want o move him, they are telling us because he is not in a vault that he can't be moved. Is this law?

No such law. But cemeteries are allowed to make up their own rules. How long ago was your brother buried? If it was more than five years, it's going to be a pretty unpleasant disinterment if you do, as the casket has probably disintegrated or rusted out if metal. If you're bound and determined to make the move regardless, you might be able to get a Probate Court order allowing such a move. You don't need a lawyer to go to Probate.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.