Funerals/moving a grave

I live in western Ny.  My mother died in 2002.  My brother kept her ashes in his house for about 10 years.  Last year he buried her in a cemetery that is an hour from my house.  He and I have not spoken since.  I plan to move her ashes to a cemetery that is 10 minutes from my house and where I plan to be buried.  I plan to do this when he passes.  What do I have to do to do this and what would be the expenses?

You'll have to check with the cemetery as each one can make up their own regulations. Is there a chance your brother would agree to splitting the cremated remains now? That would be a more ideal solution and one that I feel certain the cemetery wouldn't object to.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.