Funerals/private family cemetery

I want to deed off 1 acre of land in a farm agriculture zoned area of jasper county Georgia. it is part of my 12 acre farm and I want to start a private family cemetery. where do I start to get this done?

No state statutes specifically permit or prohibit family cemeteries. That said, Bibb County went a little crazy with recent restrictions.

Read your local zoning ordinance. I'm guessing it's silent on this topic, so I'd follow the don't ask, don't tell approach. Simply draw a map of your land showing where the "family burial ground" will be. (That's better language to use than "cemetery.") Then take it to be recorded with the deed. I'm guessing that's all you will need to do. A good practice is 150 ft. from a water supply and 25 ft. from a power line or boundary.

To bypass the funeral industry entirely, you can download the GA chapter from the Bookstore at for only $5.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.