Funerals/Unauthorized cremation

Question
My mother I law bought a prepaid funeral plan.  She initially requested immediate cremation but a few years later changed her mind.  We have this in a letter from the funeral home. When she died she had dementia and put a man we didn't know as her POA.  This man signed the cremation authorization and added items to her funeral plan upping it $2400.00.  Now the funeral director is taking us to court .  They cremated her immediately.  We had to call the funeral home to meet with the director.  He never called us.  When we went there he informed us she had already been cremated.  This man also picked out who would do readings, offertory, etc.  we had no say in anything.  My husband and son are her only living relatives.  It tormented them both to not be involved.  One person who did a reading stood up at the funeral home and bashed my husband and son for 10 minutes on how they weren't there for her and that's why she died. We have never met this woman before. Do we have grounds to sue for unauthorized cremation?  Canada sue the POA for taking over the funeral plans, adding to the funeral bill and having people we didn't know involved in the wake and funeral? We wrote the state board of mortuary science.  The funeral director was found quillty of 6 state codes but only got a warning.

Answer
In Iowa, a person may name someone other than the next-of-kin to handle funeral arrangements, so unfortunately that man had a right to make or change the funeral plans and you wouldn't win any such suit.

Because the funeral director dealt with the man your mother named, that person is responsible for any addition to the bill NOT the children. Tell the funeral director to show you where your husband signed for any responsibility. Nada, from what you tell me.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson