Funerals/cremation

Question
My husband passed away 12/4/13.. He was in the hospital with a heart attack.. We made arrangements for cremation and I picked his ashes up on 12/10/13.. Now I can't get the funeral home to get the death certificates to me.. I need these for insurance purposes.. What can I do and whom can I contact to get this taken care ?.. I paid for them at the time of cremation as well as my own.. Can you tell me what to do next ?..

Answer
Hi Wanda,

Professional boards are created by state governments for exactly this type of situation - you've paid a licensed professional (the funeral director) for a product (the death certificate) that you need for legal purposes, and that the professional promised to get for you. It's been a reasonable period of time and you still don't have what you need and what you were sold.

The Missouri Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors (who licenses the funeral director) is there to help you. Call them (here: http://pr.mo.gov/embalmers-staff.asp) and tell a staff person what's going on. You should get immediate assistance. If you don't, post a follow-up question here. But this should do it.

best,

Cynthia

Funerals

Cynthia Beal