Funerals/Funeral

Question
I am Jewish and a Jewish acquaintance of mine passed away yesterday. We have many friends in common. The funeral will be huge because the deceased was only 65. I don't know whether I should attend the service. I do not know any members of the family, not even her husband. Yet I want to do the right thing. Can you give me an opinion?

Answer
Dear Caryn,

It is common for people to show up at a funeral who aren't acquainted with the family. The family may not be able to sort out who the people attending are or how they are a part of the "big picture," but you may be able to attend the shiva or explain to them later on. I would suggest that you do go to fill your own need to pay respects to her and to grieve for a friend.

Thank you so much for asking. Please feel free to be back in touch if I can be helpful.

Funerals

Rabbi Sue Levy