Funerals/recieving ownership of burial plot

Question
QUESTION: My father has been dead since 2008 and his kids is trying to purchase him a headstone, but we can't because his wife have been fighting us in court, because she didn't want us to have anything and she file a law suit pertaining to his death. we just sign a waiver amount in 5/2013 for a sum amount pertaining to the wrongful death proceeds. What can we do to get our father a headstone.

ANSWER: Juanita

Sorry your family is going through all of this.

The first question is "Who is the person registered at the cemetery as the one having the interment right?" In other words, who owns the grave?  Is it his wife or your Mother, a sibling of his or someone else? (Assuming this is a second marriage).  Usually the person who is the owner of the interment right at the cemetery can direct whether a headstone can be placed on the grave or not.  My advice would be to contact the cemetery about their policy on this or if the laws in the state where the cemetery is located has anything to say about this situation.

I hope this helps,

Erin Phelps

QUESTION: Thank you. I'm the daughter of my father first marriage, but its the kids from the first and second marriage that's been trying to get his headstone. His third wife owned the plot. I went to the cemetery already and I was told that she would have to place the headstone.

Answer
Juanita

If the cemetery says that his wife owned the plot and would have to been the one to authorize the headstone, then, unfortunately that's how it is.  If you and your siblings are willing to pay for the headstone, maybe she would allow you to do this.  

Funerals

Erin Phelps