Funerals/title transfer of deceased parents cemetery plots

Question
My father left me his paper work on two plots he purchased in 1963 for my mother and father... they divorced and both have died and I have the death certificates on both of them... we never transfer the title on the deed now my four sisters what to sell them no one what's to use them... do we have to pay to transfer the title now and when we sell them... the Mortuary said they have to be in our names or one of our names and we will be charged a $200.00 transfer fee for each plot to the new owners... they the memorial park does not buy back... what is the cheapest way to sell them... I'am trying to get the best way for us to do this???

Answer
Hi Jeri,

In this case, the cheapest way is the probably the most efficient way:

1) Identify what you have to do before you can sell (you've started this, however as far as I know, whoever inherited the deed has control of the interment right and if the Mortuary is telling you that you have to transfer the title into your name first in order to sell the plots, I'd call the mortuary and cemetery board in your state to confirm this. Get the mortuary to put the process in writing for you first; go to the Board to verify what they say is true. It seems unlikely that you'd have to pay a transfer fee upon inheritance and then again upon sale)

2) Identify the costs of sale (the cemetery business - owned by the Mortuary, in your case? - will tell you their costs, and there's no getting around those cheaply. Additional costs might be advertising, paying a service to list the plots for sale, identify who in the family is going to answer all the questions, etc.). Make an agreement with the family who's going to do the work and who's going to get the money.

3) Advertise to sell in whatever ways you can. Selling a plot (an interment right) is a lot like selling a used car or anything else you might have! Find out what the going rates for the plots are. Know what's included with the plot so you can talk about it. Get a copy of the cemetery's current policy and contract so you've got those to share, too. Take some pictures of the views from the plots and of the plots. Post on Craigslist and other places - search the internet for places where you can sell. Remember, you're most likely to sell to local folks, so consider that, as well - how about flyers in the post office or at the senior centers? You can also look for gravestones located next to the ones you're currently selling and see if you can find local family members who might be interested. And you should definitely make a flyer and give one or two to the cemetery and the pre-need salespeople; they can still sell the merchandise and services and might like to know that your plots were available.

Hope that helps!

Cynthia

Funerals

Cynthia Beal