Funerals/Transporting deceased from Florida to Georgia for burial

What are the laws governing transporting the deceased from Florida to Georgia? Does it require embalming if not done within a certain timeframe? Are there requirements on how the body can be transported?

In Florida, the body must be embalmed OR refrigerated within 24 hours. You can use dry ice for cooling. Georgia has no such requirements. The family may transport the body if you wish. The death certificate must be filed and the burial transit permit obtained. You can download the FL chapter from the Bookstore at for only $5. But many of the local registrars don't know you have that right and may give you a hard time. It may be easier to find a funeral director to work with and who will then let you do the transporting.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.