Funerals/funeral holding body

In Fl can funeral home hold body if they embalmed my vet husband after they were told not to and won't release without $800 payment

Absolutely not unless it's required by state law. Embalming OR refrigeration is required after 24 hours, but I can't imagine a funeral home in Florida not having refrigeration. Tell them you will file a complaint with the state Funeral and Cemetery Board -- -- Charging without your permission is a violation of the FTC Funeral Rule.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.