Funerals/moveing My Husbands remains

Dear Lisa Carlson,
I live in the Phoenix Arizona area. My husband died on 11-29-2012. When he died we were barely making ends meet on his social security check. We had no life insurance or money.I was paralyzed emotionally and unable to come up with any money. His body was tagged as abandoned and buried in with the Indigent at a Maricopa County Cemetery called White Tanks Cemetery. Do I have the right to move his remains out of there.what department to contact to find out what I would owe Maricopa county

Talk to the cemetery. There should have been a limited amount of county money to help with costs, so you may not owe a huge amount. A disinterment permit must be gotten from the state registrar, but that should not be a problem. You might want to consider cremation so you don't have more cemetery expense, at least not right away.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.