Funerals/Transportation of a body

I read on one of your response was that there are 43 states which allow a family to transport the body of a deceased loved one to the funeral home. I live in California and I offer Final Expense Whole Life Insurance attached with a complete preplanning program.  Just to confirm, since a live in California, can I  transport the body or remains of a loved one???  Can you also provide the name of your 512 page book, I would love to read it to increase my knowledge  of my profession.

Yes, you may transport a loved one in CA.

The book is "Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death." --
You can download the CA chapter from the Bookstore at for only $5.

BTW, insurance is a TERRIBLE way to pay for a funeral. It may cost more than the actual arrangements and if it isn't available for 30 days, there's likely to be an extra charge.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.