Funerals/funeral plot

Question
my brother and i were close when he died my niece took over and oranised the funeral .I was excluded because her mum (my sister) dont speak .I offered to pay for the funeral but was told no .I placed a small stone and wreath on the grave but my niece removed them and my name is not on the stone either .Can you advise if she can prevent me placing things on the grave .
thank you Esther

Answer
Thank you for your question.

In reality you can place whatever you want on the grave and she can remove it. There are rules about what can be placed on a grave but not about what can be removed. If the grave is in a cemetery then she will be the legal owner of the grave, however in a church yard removal of your items could be considered theft as no one ever owns the grave.

Whilst not ideal I would suggest you have a separate memorial at a place that was special to you and your brother. Something in your garden or a local park perhaps. Whilst it may not be the place where your brother is buried the fact that you have somewhere special that can't be interfered with by your niece will hopefully give you comfort.

Funerals

Bryan Powell