Funerals/Movingb my daughter's ashes....

Question
My ex-fiancée and I had a beautiful 3-week old daughter who passed away in May of 2013.  Since then the baby's mother and I had an ugly break-up and when it came to our daughter, it was mutually assumed that whoever was going to stay in San Diego would keep little Mina Jayden and her tiny little urn.  When I went to the apt to retrieve my belongings (after her turn) I noticed that the urn was gone!  She is supposed to be flying to Guadalajara, MX this upcoming weekend and I was wondering what CA. laws can prevent her from taking my daughter's remains?

Answer
Hi Jonathan,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty here. I may not be the best person to answer this question, so feel free to try with others. (Also, I'm sorry I didn't get this in time)

It's my understanding that cremated remains are considered 'personal property' and yet no one technically owns them; custody usually falls to next-of-kin and since both you are equally NOK, you both have a claim.

When there's a dispute about the ownership of something it usually has to go through the court - i.e., you have to file a claim, the claim is based on the item's financial value, and then the paperwork gets served to the other party, and it all takes many weeks, costs a lot of money, and may or may not have the result you want.

I wish I had better news for you. The only thing I could think of is to request/plead/entreat that she give you some portion of the remains before she goes - and perhaps you could offer to get some of them placed into a Memory Glass orb or something like that --- http://www.memoryglass.com/ --- I usually recommend these for people as cremated remains are difficult - and awkward - to keep track of for long periods of time.

Good luck!

Cynthia

Funerals

Cynthia Beal