Funerals/Transport of human body from CA to OR

Question
My question is two fold.  A plot has already been purchased in Oregon at a mortuary next to my sister. We have received a quote from a California mortuary of over $3,000 and the receiving Oregon mortuary of over $10,000. I understand there is a company called Inman who will pick up the body, embalm, transport for about $1,000 plus airfare. Can I require the receiving mortuary to use this company, as Inman will work with the mortuary only and not consumers. The receiving mortuary wants to charge an additional $1795 to pick up the casket from the airport.

My brother wants to come to California and transport the body himself to Oregon. Is this possible and if so, what is required?

Thanks,

Answer
You can't force the receiving mortuary to use Inman. The $1,795 is probably listed on their price list as "receiving remains," yes, going to the airport. Not sure what the rest of the $10,000 is for . . . a viewing, a funeral?

If near Portland, consider using Omega Funeral Service. Their prices tend to be more reasonable.

But, yes, your brother can transport the body himself. Have him get the burial transit permit from the funeral director who filed the death certificate in CA. You won't need a mortuary in Oregon at all if you go right to the church or cemetery.

You can download the CA chapter from the Bookstore at www.funerals.org for only $5. All states recognize the valid paperwork from another state, so that is all you have to check on, but if you are curious, there is an OR chapter there as well.

For a brief summary of Funeral Consumer Rights state-by-state, go to www.funeralethics.org and click by the red reminder.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson