Funerals/Burial Expense in Oregon

Question
QUESTION: If you are an adult ward of the state in Oregon, is Oregon responsible for paying the burial expenses?

ANSWER: Bonnie

The State of Oregon does not have a program to cover burial/cremation expenses for adult wards of the state. The individual or the person who is handling their care and/or finances should set up a pre-paid plan with a funeral director to cover the costs of final disposition of the persons body.

I hope this helps,

Erin Phelps

QUESTION: The adult who is a ward of the state is a drug addict/alcoholic who is dying of cancer. She is on SSI. There is no other adult responsible. Does SS pay for the burial costs?

And Erin thank you so much for the quick follow-up and answer. I am doing this for my friend. It is her adult daughter we are talking about.

Bonnie

Answer
Bonnie

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but SS and/or SSI do not pay anything towards burial/cremation costs.  Though if she is incarcerated in an Oregon State facility the state will take care of her body by cremation if no one else claims her body. Otherwise her legal next of kin may contact the Whole Body donation program at Oregon Health & Science University (503-494-8302) to see if they would accept her body for use as a cadaver for the medical school students. After the students are finished with the remains, the body would be cremated and returned to the family.  The State does have an Indigent Disposition fund, but this for someone who dies without any family or friends to claim the body.

Hope this helps,

Erin Phelps

Funerals

Erin Phelps