Funerals/reburial

Question
My uncle is buried in Fort Rosecrans Natl. Cemetery, San Diego, CA.  The family is in N. Alabama.
How do we begin the process of having his remains moved to Alabama?

Answer
Hi John,

One way to do this is simply to contact both cemeteries and ask them. Cemeteries often handle exhumations and either the one on the receiving or the one on the shipping end will do the bulk of the work. Get quotes from both, get their advice, and then shop for the price and service level you want.

Given that one of them is Federal and is doing things by "the book", I'd contact the National Cemetery first -- they'll have done this before and will have a clear and set price and procedure for how exhumations are charged for and done, and will let you know what they can't and can't do for you, and how much it will cost. They'll probably even have something written up they can send you, and maybe even a webpage! Once you have this information, you can go to the destination cemetery and talk to them. That should get you well on your way.

Hope this helped!

Cynthia

Funerals

Cynthia Beal