Funerals/remains

Question
Is someone with no family states in their will that they want to be cremated, but they don't specify what is to be done with the ashes or remains, what happens to the remains? Are they still put in some kind of urn, and where does it end up being kept? Thanks

Answer
Hi Lee,

What happens varies from State to State, crematory to crematory, and person to person. That said, upon cremation, a crematory always places cremated remains in a "temporary container" and releases the remains to a person authorized to receive them. According to industry statistics, too many of those end up being permanent, but that's another story.

If there's no statement made about the disposition of the cremated remains (that are personal property) and no family member or other person legally authorized to make that decision, the Executor of the Will is the most likely one who'll be tasked with the choice. Again, this may vary from State to State, as states vary in their rules about what the crematory must do with both claimed and unclaimed cremated remains. Within those rules, crematory policies may differ, as well.

The best thing for someone with no family to do is STILL plan, write down their plans, and make it easy on everyone else by having a key-person know where those are. Again, the Executor of the Will - and perhaps this is the attorney - might be the person with whom to have this conversation, and the Will may or may not be the place for it.

I hope that helped. (And if it's you, please go to http://www.naturalburialcompany.com and download the free Natural Funeral Planner on the site, fill it out, and add it to your file!!)

best,

Cynthia  

Funerals

Cynthia Beal