Funerals/Family cemetary

Can I build a private cemetery for my family on private property in Odum Georgia? If so please list in detail what must take place. Thanks.

Bibb County has a regulation that forbids that, but elsewhere you should be able to. Check with local zoning laws, but I'm guessing they'll be silent on this issue. A good practice is 150 ft. from a water supply and 25 ft. from a boundary or power line. Then draw a map of the land showing where the "family burial ground" will be and pay to have it recorded with the deed. That will alert any future owner that the bodies are legitimately there. I wouldn't call it a "cemetery," as that may have implications like a perpetual care fund.

To bypass the funeral industry entirely, you can download the GA chapter from the Bookstore at for only $5. That will walk you thro' how to file the death certificate, etc.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.