Funerals/Moving Domestic Partner Remains

Question
My domestic partner died in a tragic car accident in Quincy, IL. At the time I was overcome with grief and was not thinking clearly. We lived in Chicago. He was in Quincy visiting relatives. I was not completely clear on my rights at the time since we were legal civil union partners so I conceded and didnt have the emotional energy to deal with the burial site.  I have since traveled over 500 miles round trip every weekend to visit him.  I want to have him moved and buried at a site where we will both be laid to rest. I have spoken with the local funeral home that did his original preparations however they are not equipped to move him.  I am first seeking the appropriate resource to move him and want to know if I have to include the vault or if I can have him moved without the vault and purchase a new vault for the permanent burial?  Second what is the process?  Do I have to hire a local funeral home and a funeral home in Quincy or do I coordinate with a funeral home in the Chicago area to make all of the arrangements? I am at a loss. It has only been 6 months and I am heartbroken not being able to visit him as frequently as I want and also having a place where we will both be laid to rest.  Thank you for your much needed help.

Answer
I would start with a funeral director in Chicago and definitely price at least three. Try Rago Brothers as they were a firm used by a consumer group for many years because of their low prices. They can answer the question about the vault better than I. And if they need the help of a Quincy FH, let them arrange it as it may be cheaper that way.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson