Funerals/NY requirement for funeral director involvement

Question
Is there any group working to revoke the NY State law that mandates the involvement of a funeral director to transport a dead body? I know most states no longer have this law and wonder why NY still does. Many thanks.

Answer
Actually, NY permits a non-FD to *transport* the body. That said, it requires a funeral director to file the paperwork and to oversee the final disposition.

The Funeral Consumer Alliance groups have tossed this idea around for some time, to get rid of any FD requirements. Check with the one in Albany and the one on Long Island -- http://www.funerals.org/affiliates-directory#NY

Funerals

Lisa Carlson