Funerals/Ward of the State burial

Question
My mother is considered a ward of the state.  She is now in failing health.  I don't know what to plan for?

Answer
Hi Deborah,

I'm only going to be able to give you a couple of ideas here, and then you're going to have to continue asking this question of a number of other folks to help you get the complete set of answers you'll require to make sure you get all your bases covered.

You can start by downloading my Natural Funeral Plan at http://www.naturalburialcompany.com. It's free, and has space for the information you'll need to supply authorities at death (it's convenient to gather it now) as well as a series of questions you'll want to have some idea about with respect to your mother's wishes - burial or cremation? funeral? etc...

You can also go to websites like http://www.getyourshittogether.org. It has a pretty straightforward guide about the paperwork you need to have taken care of, and links to more resources.

If your mother is in a care facility, I'd start there, asking about the funeral directors that they know about who work with their other clients. Usually a facility won't recommend funeral directors that families have had negative reports about. The facility may have good recommendations for other service providers you'll find useful, as well.

And of course, don't forget talking to whatever State agency your mother's a ward of - in fact, after you go through the suggestions above -- the natural funeral plan (to get an idea of some of the personal elements the agency WON'T be deciding for you but will probably want to know, the paperwork website, and talking to the care facility the FIRST time -- I'd make that State agency your next call, just so you know what types of costs they'll pick up, and what sorts of requirements they have of you.

The internet has made getting many of these tasks done a lot simpler today; hopefully you'll spend minimum time on the bureaucracy and be able to maximize the time you have left with your Mother.

I hope that helps.

best,

Cynthia  

Funerals

Cynthia Beal