Funerals/Burial on private land

I own land in rural Valencia County, New Mexico, about 6 miles from the city of Belen.  Is it legal for me to be buried on my land when I die?  If so, what regulations do I need to comply with?

Prior to burial, you should draw a map of the
land showing where the family cemetery will
be and have it recorded with the county clerk’s
office. Burial must be 50 yards from a stream
or other body of water and five feet from a
property line.; minimum depth is six feet.

To bypass the funeral industry entirely, download the NM chapter from the Bookstore at for only $5. That will walk you thro' filing the death certificate and getting the burial transit permit. If you are likely to die in CA, download that chapter, too.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.