Funerals/natural burial and funeral homes

Hello.  My wife and I want to go the green burial route, but the closest one to our home is 2 hours from us.  Can we use a local funeral home for green burial, or would we need to use a more specialized funeral home?  Do green cemeteries do the funeral arrangements? Thank you.

You can check around with local cemeteries to see if any are starting to set aside vaultless, casketless burials. With the popularity of the idea these days, you may actually find one nearby. They are likely to charge extra for filling in the gravesite as the body decomposes.
Any funeral home can handle such a burial but you should shop around and find one you feel comfortable with.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.