You are here:

Funerals/Question about moving remains


Is it possible to move my parents' remains from New Albany, Indiana to a Veterans Cemetery in Radcliff, Kentucky. My father was a Veteran. My mother was cremated, my father had a casket. Both died in Kentucky. I would like to have them closer to my home. What would I need to do to move the remains.

How long since your father was buried? If it's more than say five years, the casket may have started to rust out or disintegrate. You could then have him cremated or placed in a new casket. Contact a funeral home in Indiana and get pricing from them. I'm guessing it might cost close to $10,000 but you should shop around.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lisa Carlson


Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.


I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Past/Present Clients
Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.

©2017 All rights reserved.