Funerals/Home Burial in Georgia, Seminole County

Question
Can I bury my mother on my private land and not deem it a cemetery but a Family Lot? I live on this land.

Answer
There are no state laws in GA that specifically permit or prohibit home burial. But you should check with the local zoning folks. Bibb County went a little crazy over home burials and passed all kinds of stupid and silly regulations.

If your land is rural outside the village or city limits, it will likely be permissible. The burial plot should be 150 ft. from any water supply or open water and 25 ft. from a boundary or power line. If the zoning folks agree, then draw a map of the land showing where the "family burial ground" will be and pay to have it recorded with the deed so future owners know about it.

If you want to bypass the funeral industry entirely, you should be able to download the GA chapter from the Bookstore at www.funerals.org for only $5. That will walk you thro' how to file the death certificate and get the burial transit/disposition permit.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson