Funerals/Cemetery /flood area

Question
Can a cemetery be started or extended in a flood zone? If there is a already exsiting cemetery (started a overa100yearsago) can that cemetery purchase more land to extent that cemetery if the land has been declared a flood zone?

Answer
Hi Helen,

Land use permissions are always governed by the land use planners in an area. If you'd asked "should" a cemetery be started or extended in a flood zone, my answer - predicated on the science-based rules in the UK regarding the proper citing of cemeteries relative to groundwater - would be "no". But "could" is a different question.

Land use planners aren't always very good when it comes to thinking about cemeteries and where to allow them to either be created or expand, as images like those at this link can attest:

https://www.google.com/search?q=casket+flood&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7y_VU8CENs3yoASy8IKgCQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1098&bih=614#q=casket+flooding+hurricane&tbm=isch

If you'll notice, most of the pictures are of metal caskets or concrete vaults; currently  metal caskets - often sealed, with airspace (creating buoyancy)inside - are buried in concrete vaults, also with airspace. These can float to the surface over time in saturated soils. (It's less likely that biodegradable coffins will have that issue but the science isn't done yet, so it's just reasonable speculation based on when things are likely to float up from underground and when they don't)  

Burying these items in cemeteries that are either below seasonal water tables or in flood-prone areas is probably not a good idea, but our laws aren't always effective against bad ideas, and it usually takes a lot of bad consequences before laws get enacted to stop them.

In the UK (much ahead of Americans in this area), a cemetery can't expand nor be started without an environmental statement and a hydrogeological assessment about the site's suitability; cemeteries need to be sited like landfills and unless the soil conditions are ideal, a lot of preliminary - and expensive - site-engineering is usually required.

And while cemetery owners may think that if they get permission it's ok, they'd do well to remember that future consequences of cemetery activity can travel with a cemetery for a long time, so it might be ok this year to start a cemetery somewhere but in 50 years it might not be, and if the cemetery has disasters or issues in the meantime, the owner isn't necessarily insulated just because it was ok'd to start up in the past.  Nuclear waste or onsite chemical storage are cases in point --- when the stuff was originally stored, it was legal. Down the road when it was found to be a bad idea (or the containers rusted through) it was illegal, and the companies who did the storage/dumping either had to pay fines and clean up or went bankrupt.

So, I'm not sure of the motivation behind your question but in my opinion, starting or expanding a cemetery in a flood plain is:

1) not a good idea
2) not a good business decision
3) not a good land-use policy practice

and if I were buying a plot I certainly wouldn't want to buy one in that sort of a cemetery.

Hope that helped!

Cynthia

Funerals

Cynthia Beal