Funerals/removing a grave marker in north carolina

Question
My deceased husband did not want to be buried any where near his mother. She put a grave marker on a plot next to her plot at the church cemetery to make it look like he is burred next to her without permission. I am the executor of his estate and want the marker removed. How do I do this legally in the state of North Carolina

Answer
Hi SB,

This must be a frustrating experience for you. Unfortunately, you can do as much about this as you could if his mother (or anyone) put a sign with his name, birth and death date details in the yard, or a newspaper, or anywhere else, for that matter. (I'm assuming that the headstone was purchased by the mother, and that she also owns the memorial right in the churchyard where the monument is.)

Even if what was written was untrue, i.e., if the stone she placed said he WAS buried there (and he wasn't), all you could do would be sue for financial damages you could prove to the court the untruth caused. In this matter, if you don't own the memorial rights on the gravespace, the laws are on her side, and it's becoming quite common for people to memorialize cremated remains - or even no remains at all - in cemeteries as a way to remember someone that was loved, so the mother's act may simply be one of plain remembrance, and not putting forth a falsehood at all.

I wish there were more constructive options to suggest. One - and this is a little tongue-in-cheek - could be to approach the churchyard sexton and pay to erect your own headstone, perhaps with a phrase like "in honor of my husband _____ who is now as far away from his mother as it is possible for him to get...".

In a way I jest, but putting pointed commentary on headstones is not unprecedented:

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/quotes/epitaphs.html
http://archive.org/stream/funnyepitaphs00eatouoft/funnyepitaphs00eatouoft_djvu.t
http://www.costumediscounters.com/csc_inc/html/static/articles/epitaphs-humorous

While I understand the feelings of loyalty that motivate you, probably the best option is to imagine that your husband (whatever his current circumstances) has made peace with his mother, and hopefully that will free you to do so as well. Life is short, and there are a lot of positive things to do. Good luck in finding the next best ones for you!

(Hope that helped a little!!)

Cynthia  

Funerals

Cynthia Beal