Funerals/COMMON LAW FUNERAL RIGHTS.

Question
If this lady and I wish to live together as husband and wife, as in common law, do we have to have papers drawn up by and attorney and go to all that expense? Are papers even necessary in the state of SC. Further she has one cousin left alive in her family, this is all. Me and Jan are in agreement we would have a traditional burial. Her cousin wants her cremated. Both me and Jan I disagree with the cremation of Jan's body in the event of her death. Can he step in on me and do this without my concent as the last surviving family memeber. Do we need legal papers to stop this. Do we need a court hearing or an attorney to issue cease and desist papers thru the court sustem. Further, what is to stop him from doing this anyway? That is do I need to file the papers everywhere just to stop him as he is gun ho to have step in and not consider our wishes.

Answer
Section 32-11-10 of SC statutes allows you to name any person you like (it does not have to be your next of kin) to carry out your funeral wishes. You must do so in a " will or other verified and attested document." OUR ADVICE --- Do NOT use a will to assign this power to someone. Why? Because the will usually isn't read until after your body is disposed of. Instead, draw up a short, dated document stating that you give such-and-such person the sole right to make arrangements for your disposition, as allowed by SC Code 32-11-10. Date the document, and have it notarized. Make sure your survivors have a copy. I think the town clerk is usually a notary.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson