Funerals/starting family cemetary

I would like any information on starting a family cemetery on my land

Check with the local zoning laws which are likely silent except in Bibb county. Then draw a map of your land showing where the family burial ground will be and pay to have it recorded with the deed. A good practice is 200 ft. from a water supply and 25 ft. from a power line or boundary.

For more information on bypassing the funeral industry entirely, you can download the GA chapter from the Bookstore at for only $5. Or see if your library has "Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death."

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.