Funerals/Moving cremains from OR to CA

Question
QUESTION: My husband'b best friend passed away recently and we want to transport his cremains from OR to CA to scatter the ashes where they used to live. What paperwork is required for us to drive the cremains from OR to CA?

ANSWER: OR does not require any additional paperwork.

QUESTION: Does CA require paperwork to transport the cremains?  Thanks.

Answer
Only if the cremation occurred in CA. And frankly the CA requirements are quite silly. You're allowed to keep cremated remains on the mantelpiece but there are no "cremains police" to see if they are there 25 years later. And you're supposed to get a burial transit permit if you move to a new house. Or five burial transit permits if you decide to divide them up and share with the grandchildren. No penalties listed if you don't.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson