Funerals/Moving cremains from OR to CA

QUESTION: My husband'b best friend passed away recently and we want to transport his cremains from OR to CA to scatter the ashes where they used to live. What paperwork is required for us to drive the cremains from OR to CA?

ANSWER: OR does not require any additional paperwork.

QUESTION: Does CA require paperwork to transport the cremains?  Thanks.

Only if the cremation occurred in CA. And frankly the CA requirements are quite silly. You're allowed to keep cremated remains on the mantelpiece but there are no "cremains police" to see if they are there 25 years later. And you're supposed to get a burial transit permit if you move to a new house. Or five burial transit permits if you decide to divide them up and share with the grandchildren. No penalties listed if you don't.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.