Funerals/exhumation of cremated remains

Question
My husband passed away 18 years ago in an accident where I was severely injured. I was only 19 and knew little of my legal rights as his spouse and my state of injury left them able to take advantage. He was cremated and buried in a churchyard in Wisconsin at his parents demand, even though I was moving back to Texas. I want his remains as I always have and now that my daughter is older, I am ready to get him. I want to put some ashes in jewelry for myself and a few other loved ones. His parents aren't going to be ok with this. What is legally necessary for me to exhume the remains and bring him home to Texas?

Answer
Just out of curiosity, have you remarried? If so, that may have thinned your rights. But check with the sexton of the church cemetery and explain your wishes. If they give you a hard time, tell them you will go to Probate Court. In most states you don't need a lawyer to go to Probate. Ask the Probate Court for an order allowing you to move the cremated remains. That should do it if you can't get them with informal arrangements.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson