Funerals/Funeral Home GPL

Can a funeral home list caskets on their GPL as merchandise and when they sell one to a person buying it pre-need list it on the pre-need contract as a cash advance. Also, would the FTC allow a funeral home to sell caskets as a cash advance.

NO, a casket is NOT a cash advance item. Cash advance items are third-party items like obit and flowers or clergy honorarium.

Alas, in Florida the FD doesn't have to refund the casket money if you move which is probably why they are treating it like a cash advance item. Florida is a TERRIBLE state in which to prepay.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.