Funerals/disinterment

Question
Our 18 year old son was killed in an accident in several years ago.  He is buried at our Catholic Cemetery. We have moved and wanted to move him to our family plot. The cemetery at first said we could not as he is in a lower grave. We always had every intention of moving him so was very surprised when they said no.  We now have approval from the diocese but the  cost to the cemetery alone  just for disinterment is $5,800.00. (The charge 2,800 upper level and we are lower)Since we have to add all of the additional costs with moving him we were wondering if you are allowed to disinter and cremate/ and not move to another cemetery? I don't believe the cemetery would want us to do this as they have made it difficult up to this point. What are they allowed to tell us we can or cannot do? We did not sign that we would not move him. Thank you for your response.

Answer
I am sorry for your loss. Yes, as next of kin you have a right to decide about cremation. I wouldn't bother to mention this to the cemetery. You will need to hire a funeral director to oversee the disinterment. Ask him/her to stay mum about your plans as some of the older Catholics are old farts about cremation. Let me know how you make out. I would shop around to find a funeral director to work with as it could save hundreds of dollars.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson