Funerals/Transporting the Dead in Texas

I am interested in starting a transportation service for funeral transfers, transport to and from coroner's examination, transport to funeral service providers and private funeral arraingements.  What type of license if any would I need to do this?  Can to direct me to the proper state code which may cover this topic?  Or can most anyone do body transports?  Thank you for your time.

If you're doing this for a fee, you may need to be a licensed funeral director or working for one. To my knowledge, TX doesn't license body transporters as Florida does. I'm not sure such services are particularly needed there. Check with some funeral homes.

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.