Funerals/Indiana funeral laws

Question
QUESTION: I'm a new Death Midwife wanting to practice in Indianapolis, Indiana. I don't know where to start to get these laws and have been told they are very confusing. I don't want to get any family or myself in legal trouble, so where do I start?  Where can I get your book on funeral law by state?
Thanks, Sally

ANSWER: You can get the Indiana chapter from the Bookstore at www.funerals.org for only $5.

You say you're a "death midwife." Exactly what are you planning to do? Are you giving your services for free or charging?

QUESTION: I want to charge for the service of helping the families with vigils, paperwork, home funeral and hopefully, a green burial.

Answer
In Indiana, the burial transit permit may be issued only to a funeral director once the death certificate is filed. With electronic death registration, there is essentially no "paperwork" for the family or a home funeral guide to do.

Burial must be in an established cemetery in Indiana. I don't know how many are setting aside areas for vault-less (green) burials. You'll have to call around to see.

As I wrote earlier, any hands-on help is a violation of the licensing laws. Fine to educate families which Josh and I do for free over the phone all the time.

***********

Where did you get your training? Have you volunteered for hospice so you have some actual experience?

You may not be pleased with what I have to say, but hope you'll think about my concerns --

http://finalrights.org/?p=282

Funerals

Lisa Carlson