Funerals/disintering cremated remains

i bought a grave plot in our local cemetary. i let my fathers ashes be interred there. i had a headstone and cement placed over my dad,s remains. my sister is now mad at me and another sister and wants to hurt us by trying to have my dad,s remains exhumed and moved. can she legally do that? i live in idaho. thank you.

What did your father want? Are any of his wishes in writing?

Why is your sister mad? What does she want done?

Usually a cemetery would require the permission of the plot owner to move remains. Talk to the cemetery sexton and see what he/she says.

Would giving your sister half the ashes solve the problem?

Lisa Carlson

Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.

I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.