Funerals/Bringing ashes home

Question
At the time my spouse died I was such a mess a family member arranged for the ashes to be placed in a vault at the Veterans Cemetery in Oregon.Now that I'm thinking  clearer I want to bring the ashes home.My pastor says not having them with me is keeping me from working through my grief as I feel like I've abandoned him.Is it possible to have them removed,if so how do I do this?

Answer
Hi Linda,

Lucky for you, it's easy to remove - and move - cremated remains. Doubly lucky for you, all you need to do is contact the VA Cemetery and ask them how to go about it, and what their charges are for disinterment.

If you live outside of Oregon they'll also need to ship them to you, so you'll want to get the costs on that, as well.  Given that it's a VA cemetery, chances are they may not require you to have a special urn to ship in; that could be an expense, and I'm not sure what the average cemetery does these days, but there will be crating the urn vault and then the cost of shipping. Could get spendy.

Do you ever come to Oregon? If so, the least expensive way to get the remains into your possession would be to pick them up yourself at the cemetery; that way you'd only be paying for the cost of the disinterment.

You can travel with cremated remains - they're considered "personal property" and pose no threat to human or environmental health. If you're flying, make sure you contact the TSA (visit their website; the question is in their FAQ somewhere) to see what sort of container is required. Basically, the container needs to be x-rayable, and if you're not ready for a special urn, the remains could be in a plastic bag, inside a cardboard box, as a carry-on, because they're special to you and you don't want to send them through checked luggage...).

Assuming they're buried and not in a niche, why don't you give the cemetery a call and find out what the charges for disinterment are? Make sure you get them broken out, and not in a lump sum. Then, if you need to post a follow-up question here, feel free to do that and I'll take you through the next step.

Otherwise, you should be good to go, (and on your way to closure...)

Hope that helped!

best,

Cynthia

Funerals

Cynthia Beal