Funerals/legal rights to the cremains

Question
My husband passed away almost 2 years ago and I have not had his ashes buried yet but am in the process of getting the burial planned now. My sister in law and my step son are both demanding that I give them the ashes or at least half of them. My family or myself paid all but $50.00 of the funeral expenses. He passed away in Arizona and I brought him back to Indiana for a funeral. I have told them that I am willing to share a small portion of the ashes but that I am not purchasing any containers and that they would be responsible for that. They still demand all or at least half or they will take me to court. I am under the understanding that since I am the surviving wife, that it is my choice what is done and if they are shared. I found this site and figured I would ask someone that might know and be able to clarify for me how this really works. Thanks

Answer
What terrible bullies! You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT that as the spouse you are the legal next of kin and get to decide all funeral arrangements. How generous of you that you are willing to share even some of the ashes. They won't find a lawyer to take the case and surely Probate Court would throw them out. I'd tell them "So sue me."

Funerals

Lisa Carlson