Funerals/my mother's ashes

Erin Phelps wrote at 2016-04-04 22:43:01
My name is Erin Phelps, I am a licensed funeral director in the State of Oregon. Since your parents were in process of divorcing, I question who had the legal right to authorize the cremation of your Mother's body. A deceased person's body is considered quasi-property of the legal next of kin, for the purpose of burial or cremation.  If your Father was still considered her legal spouse he would have been the legal next of kin entitled to direct the disposition of her body. Regardless of his inability to pay for anything.

Also if your Father was her legal next of kin he also would be entitled to decide who took possession of her cremated remains, regardless if your Uncle had paid for the funeral.

I would recommend that you look into your Father's legal status as the next of kin. The funeral home that handled the funeral should have determined this at the time of her death.  

I hope this helps you,

Erin Phelps

Funerals

Lisa Carlson